EECE 569: Mobile Communications Networks
Term 2, 2017-2018 (January to April 2018)
architectures: cellular networks, ad hoc networks; access protocols; radio
and network resource management; quality of service; mobility and location
management; routing; mobile-IP; current wireless technologies for
personal, local and satellite networks.
- Pre(co)-requisites: ELEC 331
(Computer Communications) and EECE 565 (Data Communications) or
- The first lecture will be on Wednesday, Jan. 3,
2018. Please login to UBC Connect
using your CWL to access the course pages, including class notes,
assignments, solutions, further announcements …
Scheme: (Subject to change)
- Assignments: 10%
- Test (Apr. 4): 30%
- Term Paper: 60%
- Dr. Victor Leung
- Office: Kaiser, Room 4013
vleung at ece.ubc.ca
- Office hour: Mondays 2:00-3:00 pm (or by
- Mr. Xiuhua Li (email@example.com)
- To study the technical issues and state-of-the-art
techniques in the operation and management of mobile communications
- To learn the engineering principles and system
evaluation methods used in the design of mobile communications networks.
- Overview of wireless communications
- Cellular wireless networks
- 2G, 2.5G, 3G and 4G cellular networks
- Wireless local area networks (Wi-Fi)
- Wireless wireline interworking, Mobile IP
- Mobile ad hoc networks (MANET)
- Wireless personal area networks (Bluetooth, UWB,
- Wireless sensor networks
- Mobility management and radio resource management
- Traffic models and mobility models
- Multiple access techniques
- Simulations of wireless networks (OPNET, NS2)
3 January, 2018: First Lecture
17 January 2018: Last day to drop without a W standing through
the Student Service Centre.
18 January - 9 February 2018: Student Service Centre available for
course withdrawals with a W standing.
After 9 February 2018: Student Service Centre unavailable for
course withdrawal; Faculty approval required.
21 February 2018: Mid-term break, no lecture.
4 April 2018: Test.
20 April 2018: Term paper due.
V. Leung. Last modification: January 18, 2018